What to Do if You Are Being Extorted Online and what is the most important – how to fight back if being extorted – further in our blog. Trust is an essential part of every human relationship. Over time, we develop trust with our friends, family, and colleagues by sharing our thoughts and experiences with them. This trust allows us to feel safe and secure in our relationships.
Table of Contents:
However, when this trust is broken, it can be incredibly painful. Dealing with the aftermath of a trust betrayal can be difficult and overwhelming. You may feel alone and like you can’t tell anyone what happened. However, it is important to reach out to someone you’re close with and share what’s going on. People who have gone through this before often say that they wish they had reached out sooner.
What to Do if You Are Being Extorted Online – 5 Steps to Take if You’re Being Extorted
If you receive a demand for money or other types of payment in exchange for silence or continued secrecy, you may be a victim of extortion. Though it can be a frightening experience, there are steps you can take to protect yourself and your assets:
- First, don’t pay the ransom. This may encourage the extorter to continue their demands or even escalate them. It is also important to note that paying a ransom does not guarantee that the individual will keep their word and not release the information they have regardless;
- Second, keep all communications with the extorter. Do not delete any emails, texts, or other types of messages. These can be used as evidence against the individual if the case is brought to law enforcement;
- Third, Report Online Extortion. It’s a crime, and we can help to investigate the matter and pursue charges against the individual if appropriate;
- Fourth, tell someone close to you what has happened. You need the support of loved ones to get through this tough time. By confiding in those who care about you, you can begin to take back control of the situation. It’s also important to have someone to bounce ideas off of as you try to figure out the best way to handle extortion;
- Finally, stop all contact with the offender. This is the way to break their hold over you and begin the process of taking back your life. Any further communication will only serve to keep you trapped in their manipulative grasp;
How Does it Happen?
Online extortion often starts with innocent online conversations. Unfortunately, these conversations can quickly turn very personal and sexual when they are moved to private platforms.
The person attempting to extort someone else will often use flattery or attention bombing to make their victim feel special. They may also try to make their victim feel bad by using sympathy. These manipulative tactics are designed to get the victim to do what the extortionist wants, whether that is sending more videos or transferring money.
Oftentimes, the extortionist will pretend to be a teenage girl or boy in order to build trust and establish a connection. This makes the crime even more difficult to detect and prevent. If you suspect that you are being targeted by an extortionist, it is important to contact our team immediately.
It’s risky to send nudes or live stream sexual acts. You can easily lose control over what happens with your intimate footage, so think twice before you do!
If you are being extorted reach out for help immediately. Our team of experienced professionals can put an end to the harassment within 24 hours, locate the criminals, and help you take action to prevent further abuse. Now you know What to Do if You Are Being Extorted Online.